Thursday, March 24, 2005

Klusendorf at Grand Valley

Last night I went with my wife to Grand Valley State University for a presentation by Scott Klusendorf of Life Training Institute.

The Grand Rapids Press write-up is here.

It strike me as odd that the article is titled, "Campus hosts abortion showdown." I know this is a headline hoping to catch a reader's eye but there was no showdown. One of the best prolife debaters in the country gave a prolife presentation for about 40 minutes and then took questions from the audience. One young woman who was pro-choice asked 2 questions both of which Scott answered quite nicely - he even made sure that she was allowed to ask the last question after time was up. The girls that were with her (who I'm guessing were also pro-choice) didn't have any questions.

Even though the woman couldn't challenge Scott's presentation of the prolife position (she asked one question about life of the mother scenarios and another on Terri Schiavo in which she falsely asserted that Terri Schiavo only had a brain stem left) by proving that the unborn aren't human beings, she still wasn't buying.

Shipman said afterward that argument did not wash with her. "You're talking about whether it's a zygote in my fallopian tube or a toddler, walking and talking. It's not a valid comparison."

I wonder if she ever said why it's not a valid comparison (maybe because to her walking and talking makes us valuable) or if she knows that zygotes aren't aborted.

Next week Sarah Weddington, the lawyer who argued Roe vs. Wade, will be coming to town. It's starts at 9:15 p.m. which means I probably won't get to bed in time but I don't think I'll be able to pass up an opportunity to ask questions to Sarah Weddington.

No comments:

Post a Comment