Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blogs4Life Conference Review

On the morning of the March for Life, I was lucky enough to attend the 4th Annual Blogs4Life Conference. I’ve been to a lot of prolife events in the last few years and I’m happy to say that this event was one of the better ones. The event, with the help of emcee Jill Stanek, moved very quickly and succinctly from speaker to speaker. I think having it just in the morning before the March worked better than when I attended the first event and their were morning and afternoon session. I thought the speakers each touched on a topic they were informed about and could educate the audience about.

LifeSiteNews has an article which briefly touches on what some of the speakers shared.

The LifeSite article doesn’t mention Michael Illions talking about how he and his wife were pushed to abort (“you’re running out of time to terminate”) after his son Cole was diagnosed with hydrocephaly. He also shared the stories of three other couples who had children with adverse prenatal diagnoses. It was very moving.

Michael New used his time to quickly illustrate how parental notification and parental consent laws have helped to reduce abortions and encouraged prolifers to push for getting laws that require the consent of two parents.

Senator Brownback brought special guest Nirj Deva, the head of the prolife caucus at the European Parliament, who briefly spoke about how our societies are putting the selfishness of present pleasures above sacrificing for future generations.

I don’t think I had ever heard of Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) before Blogs4Life but was very impressed with her and her story of giving birth to a child with Down Syndrome while in Congress.

During the event I was sitting next to a young woman who I believe was a reporter for Newsweek, I think, but I could be mistaken. It was a little odd because numerous speakers mentioned their dislike for mainstream media. I wonder what that’s like? Reporting on a conference where the speakers take aim at your profession.

Anyway, I hope this conference continues to take place on an annual basis and I would encourage anyone at the March who blogs or read blogs to attend if they get a chance. Plus, it’s free and food is provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment