Friday, October 28, 2005

More thoughts on abortion from a post-abortive woman

In her first book, "Inside of Me: Lessons of Love, Lust and Redemption," Shellie Warren shares her experiences with abortion, her relationships, depression and her relationship with God.

Warren who is a speaker, full-time writer and former spokesperson for Miss Black USA, Inc. writes about what she thought about what the clinic staff told her before her first abortion.

"It is no one's choice but the woman, and if she is not ready to become a mother, we are glad to be able to assist her in her decision."

C'mon. Even I knew that in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't my choice, and it definitely wasn't something I was proud of, but I guess after a while, that's what she had to tell herself to keep from going insane. I knew for the past week or os, I had been filling my mind up with ridiculous untruths for the exact same reason. Ones like, "It won't be so bad," "It will be over before you know it," "I can handle this on my own," and "I am through having sex... but if I do fall, I will always use protection."


After her third abortion, Warren writes:

I found myself continuously calling Reggie to see if he was going to keep his vow to always be there for me - that our relationship did not end once I got off the surgical table and his genes got out of my DNA. He always answered, he always listened, but I slowly found myself resenting him for not listening right, not talking right, not doing right. This was all wrong. The more he comforted me, the more I wanted our baby back, and the more I got up to change my pads due to the residual blood from the abortion, the more I realized I could never go back. I'd never know if our baby had my eyes or his nose. If it was a he, would he love to write like his mother? If it was a she, would she love playing ball like her dad?


She also shares that "(a)ll four fathers have told me they have grieved that loss in some form or fashion over the course of time, assuring me that the solution was not as cut and dried as they initially thought when I shared the news with them."

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:29 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:13 AM

    Oh gawd, now he's over here too. He's posted a response over at PWPL's blog so far and here. Before you even get curious as to who he is and respond, be warned I unfortuantly visited his site and found nothing but woman-hating and sexist viotrol. Not a really good representation of men everywhere :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:33 AM

    JJ

    I know this is off-topic, but what is your opinion of the altered nuclear transfer (ANT) proposals being tossed around? If an embryo were genetically altered so that it could not develop (for example not implant in the uterine wall) would that be OK to derive ESCs from?

    cg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CG,
    My opinion on ANT actually depends if they can get it to work like they (people like Hurlbut and Robert George) want it to. I wouldn't be in favor of it if it created a "crippled embryo" that was still a human embryo but unable to develop past the primitive stages of human development. Then that's no better than human cloning for research.

    But if they are able to create something that isn't a human embryo yet still has stem cells then I think it is something that should be explored. Right now I'm not certain that they'll be able to create what they want in humans but I think it is something that is worth exploring in animals to see if we can do it in animals.

    I'm also still somewhat curious to how we would know if an entity like that is a human being or something like a teratoma - I've never seen that explained to my satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:49 PM

    JJ

    So lets say you take an egg cell and alter it such that the gene for uterine adhesion is deleted or rendered inoperative. You then inserted a new nucleus, and induced cell division, and at the 256-cell stage you extracted the inner cell mass. Would you consider this entity a crippled embryo?

    cg

    ReplyDelete
  6. CG,
    That scenario sounds more like a "crippled" embryo than some kind of teratoma with embryonic stem cells to me.

    ReplyDelete