Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Pro-Choice Truth

Naaman has tipped me off to the recent addition of the online ‘zine Our Truths which its editor says is "meant to be a thoughtful and accessible publication that helps to connect diverse abortion experiences with activism around abortion rights."

The editor, Emily Louise Barcklow, also felt a "complete disconnect from the mainstream pro-choice movement" after attending a speak out to discuss her abortion and finding a "room full of clothes-hangers and re cycled "We won't go back" signs—stale messages that didn't reflect (her) experience."

She then publishes various essays or poems of women who've had experiences with abortion.

After getting only 2 hours of sleep, going to a clinic away from her home so she wouldn't run into anyone she knew, not watching the abortionist work, throwing up after the abortion, talking to a girl who felt her 16 week old child move before the abortion, and witnessing another woman crying very hard, Fi Day says,

In all reality, I didn't want to admit that it was one of the easiest things I've ever done. I could do it again. It really wasn't the big deal people make it out to be. It was no harder than getting a tooth pulled. I haven't felt one feeling of sadness to this day. And if that makes me sound heartless, then so be it.

Birgit Nielsen ends her essay, "White Babies," by claiming that prolifers only care about white babies.

Pauline Tsai, who aborted her child at 20 weeks because he had Trisomy 13 includes a poem entitled "On Losing You."

Shock like cold water thrown in my face.
I am shattered into a million shards.
The shock of realizing that you were not coming.
Not in November, not ever.
Never.
The disappointment of knowing we'd never
meet and there is nothing I, or anyone can do
to change that.
Nothing.
Now I cannot nurse you as I dreamed of.
Settling instead for drawing your tiny casket
close to my heart.
Kissing it gently goodbye
Over an over.
Family members visit the cemetery not the
nursery.
No congratulations only condolences.
Birth Announcement now an obituary.
Bassinet becomes a casket.
I wait for someone to tell me this is all a big mistake.
They do not.
I hurt.
It is excruciating.
I am certain it will never go away. I wonder if it will kill me.
I wonder if you miss me.

No comments:

Post a Comment