Friday, July 01, 2005

O'Connor Retires: It Begins

The story from Fox News.

While the pro-choice groups would have put up a fist fight against a nominee to replace Rehnquist, that's nothing compared to the bar room brawl they'll take part in to stop the appointment of a conservative justice to replace one of their favorite "moderates." Remember O'Connor voted that bans against partial-birth abortion are unconstitutional.

NARAL's website is still saying that the Supreme Court favors Roe v. Wade by a "razor-thin 5-4 majority" and to get into their home page you have to first go thru this page which states: "The battle for the Supreme Court has begun....Don't let his choice end yours."

A few queries:

Will the departure of a female justice mean that Bush will attempt to appoint a female justice to replace her? Planned Parenthood mentions two possible female Supreme Court nominees: Edith Jones and Edith Brown Clement.

Will Bush attempt to appoint the first (possibly second if you count Benjamin Cardozo) Hispanic judge to the Supreme Court? Samuel Alito Jr., Miguel Estrada, Alberto Gonzales, and Emilio Garza are all names that have been bantered around.

7 comments:

  1. Well it won't be boring that is for sure. I do have a question about this. If it becomes illegel to have an abortion here and rich ppl go some place else to have one are they gonna go to jail for it? Can be compared to our drug laws.... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,
    I believe that I got to your blog thru another blog that was linking to your post on abortion. I believe it was Real Choice - run by a woman named Christina (aka Granny Grump) who might have also commented on your post.

    Hi Achromic,
    If abortion becomes illegal in the U.S. and then a woman goes to Canada for an abortion - authorities in the U.S. won't be able to arrest her. Even when abortion was illegal in the United States, people performing abortions were arrested not women having them. I don't think that anyone would ever pass a law making it illegal to be post-abortive. If you went to the Netherlands and smoked marijuana, you can't be arrested in the U.S. for that just like you wouldn't be able to be arrested for having an abortion in another country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about that but that is why I was saying that I didn't think you could make it the same as the drug laws. I mean the truth is you believe it is murdering someone right? SO ok if I take my child to a country where having sex with a child is ok and then bring him back here you would want me arrested right? (lol I would want me arrset that is for sure!!) So wouldn't that be a better way to look at it? If you take your fetus to another country to have it murdered?!?!? I mean you know I don't see it that way but I'm just asking if you think your side will see it that way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Achromic,
    The woman makes the decision to end her child's life but that doesn't mean she is the one that does the killing.

    Regarding your child abuse example, I'm fairly certain that the hypothetical woman in question couldn't be arrested in the United States for a crime committed in another country. Maybe I'd want her arrested but the U.S. doesn't have the right to enforce its laws in another country.

    Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen on "my side" a strong movement to throw women in jail for having abortions, especially abortions that would occur outside the U.S.

    Part of it is that most people who are prolife see the woman as a second victim of the abortion not as a criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Just a correction . . . I believe Alito is Italian and, if nominated, would join fellow Italian Scalia on the Court.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,
    You are correct. My mistake.

    I'm not sure where I came up with the belief that he was Hispanic. Maybe the name?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been speaking with people and there seems to be a consensus that it is against the law to take your child to a country where sex with a child is legel and then bring them back here. I'm still waiting for some conformation of it because apparently there is some precedence for this having to do with clitorectomies that is done in some cultures but is illegel here. Will write more when I know more.

    ReplyDelete