Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Why Do Women Have Abortions

Planned Parenthood's research arm, the Alan Guttmacher Institute, has released a new study on the reasons why women have abortions. The last time they released a study like this was in 1987. When women were allowed to list multiple reasons for why they had an abortion, reasons like "Having a baby would dramatically change my life," "Can't afford a baby now," and "Don't want to be a single mother/having relationship problems" came out on top.

Other notable statistics:

6% of women said their parents wanted them to have an abortion
14% of women said their husband or partner wanted them to have an abortion
25% of women said that they didn't want people to know they had sex or were pregnant

UPDATE
After reading the complete report another thing that stuck to me was the brief paragraph on adoption. According to the report, more than 1/3 of the 38 women who were given an in-depth interview "said they had considered adoption and concluded that it was morally unconscionable option because giving one's child away is wrong."

The paper also includes some quotes from the women who were interviewed. Some I thought were particularly heart-wrenching.

"You know, I'm 19 years old. I don't think I should be having a child right now. I should be more focused on what I'm trying...I'm trying to do things for myself. How am I supposed to do something for another human?"

and

"I am on my own, and financially and mentally, I can't stand it now. That is one whole reason...It's a sin to bring the child here and not be able to provide for it...This is just in the best interest for me and the children- no, my children and this child."

No comments:

Post a Comment