Friday, March 30, 2012

Where does Jimmy Carter stand on abortion?

The answer to that question depends on which Jimmy Carter you're talking to.

Jimmy Carter's recent discussion of abortion on Laura Ingraham's show is making some news. Audio and transcript at Hot Air:
“I never have believed that Jesus Christ would approve of abortions and that was one of the problems I had when I was president, having to uphold Roe v. Wade. And I did everything I could to minimize the need for abortions. I made it easy to adopt children, for instance, that were unwanted and also initiated the program called Women and Infant Children, or WIC program, that’s still in existence now. But except for the times when a mother’s life is in danger or when a pregnancy is caused by rape or incest I would certainly not or never have approved of any abortions…

“I’ve signed a public letter calling for the Democratic Party at the next convention to espouse my position on abortion which is to minimize the need, requirement for abortion and limit it only to women whose life are in danger or who are pregnant as a result of rape or incest. I think if the Democratic Party would adopt that policy that would be acceptable to a lot of people who are now estranged from our party because of the abortion issue.”

What's noteworthy is Carter's claim regarding Roe v. Wade. Here's what he said in 2006 on the Larry King Live.
When I was president, I announced and I still maintain that I can live with Roe v. Wade. I did everything I possibly could as president under that ruling, which I don't think ought to be changed, to minimize the need for abortions. I think every abortion is a result of a horrible series of errors on the part of people involved.

And so, I made sure that our young people had adequate instruction on how to avoid pregnancy if they should choose to have sex before marriage and before they wanted a baby, abstinence is the best approach of course, I made sure that women and infant children, the WIC Program, Women and Infant Children gave prospective mothers the assurance that they could have their child and that they would be adequately cared for economically.

And I also improved the quality or ease of adoptions by a mother who didn't want to raise her child to get matched up in a convenient way with couples who couldn't have children of their own and could delightfully raise those children. So, I did everything I could to minimize the need for abortions.

Carter provides the same talking points about reducing the need for abortions but in 2006 he said he could live with Roe and didn't think it ought to be changed. In 2012, he's saying upholding Roe was problematic for him as president and claims to favor limiting abortion in such a way which would require the overturning of Roe.

1 comment:

  1. "minimize the need for abortions." What twaddlefarp. Might as well talk about wanting to minimize the "need" for arson, rape, and armed robbery. There IS NO NEED FOR ABORTIONS. Period, paragraph.

    ReplyDelete