Monday, May 19, 2008

Life Links 5/19/08

The Telegraph is reporting members of parliament in the United Kingdom will likely vote in favor of limiting abortion to 22 weeks. The time limit in Britain is currently set at 24 weeks.


Maybe there was another reason for NARAL’s endorsement of Obama. From the American Spectator’s Washington Prowler:
One reason that the national board of NARAL, the pro-abortion lobbying organization, endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, and encouraged its state membership to do the same, was a series of behind the scenes conversations between the Obama campaign and NARAL.

"The message was, get on board or risk losing influence," says an Obama strategist. "We needed one of these [feminist or pro-abortion] groups to step up and walk away from Hillary. NARAL did it, and to its credit under great danger to its credibility with its membership."


The Daily Breeze has a story about a high school softball player who became pregnant and decided to let her cousin (who recently discovered she couldn’t have children) adopt her child.
"In my mind, I was thinking about an abortion," Cuico said. "But I didn't want to because the baby was already moving in my stomach. I felt sad just thinking about an abortion. It was an emotional roller coaster for the next month...."

"I had a change of heart. If I had an abortion, I don't know how I would've lived with myself."


INCHRISTwithchrist posts the story of a post-abortive woman.
I had allowed the abortions to leave such a terrible mark on my life. I let it stand in between me and my God for years. I invited the memories to take permanent resident in my mind and heart and prevent me from receiving Gods acceptance and mercy.


The LA Times has an obituary on Harvey Karman, an illegal abortionist and the man who invented the cannula to help kill unborn children. Here’s parts I found noteworthy:
Karman also had many detractors, particularly because of his attempt to revolutionize second-trimester abortions with a device called the super coil, which was inserted into the uterus and expanded when exposed to moisture, causing a miscarriage. It caused serious complications, including hemorrhaging and infection, when it was used on about a dozen women in Philadelphia on Mother's Day in 1972.

"Harvey engaged in some very irresponsible experimentation on women's bodies," said Carol Downer, who co-founded feminist women's health clinics in Southern California in the 1970s.....

His ultimate goal, according to Darney, who met Karman in the early 1970s, was to "make it possible for women to safely do their own abortions using the simplest possible equipment......"

He said the team visited outlying villages (in Bangladesh) and taught midwives, village chiefs, young girls, "anybody who wanted to learn," how to use the cannula for an abortion. The method is still used widely there, although it is called menstrual extraction because abortion is banned.

Karman "is responsible for saving the lives of countless women throughout the world through this innovative technology," Vicki Saporta, president and chief executive of the National Abortion Federation, a professional association for abortion providers based in Washington, D.C., said in an interview last week.


The California Catholic Daily has more information on Harvey Karman:
Woo’s obituary did not mention that the illegal hotel-room abortion for which Karman was convicted occasioned another obituary more than 50 years ago – that of otherwise healthy Joyce Johnson, who died in April 1955 from sepsis following Karman’s abortion. She was 26. Karman was not then nor did he ever become a physician – but he continued to perform abortions.

No comments:

Post a Comment