Thursday, April 14, 2005

Patricia Beninato - Definitely Not Silent

Patricia Beninato, founder of I'm Not Sorry.net has just started her own blog.

She explains her personality and how she comes off with the following statement:

I had someone fairly high up on the food chain in NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia tell me once that I'd go far in the movement if I just "tempered" myself. In other words, be nice and polite and don't ruffle feathers. It looks to me that in the current climate, nice and polite and non-feather-ruffling DOESN'T. FREAKING. WORK.

Her second post then goes after Georgette Forney and Silent No More, Georgette's organization that wants to make the public aware that abortion can be emotionally harmful. Beninato thinks Silent No More is a "hugely exploitative group, trotting out damaged women who weep seemingly on cue and then crowing ‘See, see? Look what abortion did!'" and

Abortion is such an intensely personal decision that it makes me furious when people like Denise Mountenay and Georgette Forney say that we should outlaw abortion because it's obvious that it's a bad experience

Talk about an obvious strawman. Prolife organizations don't want to outlaw abortion because it's a bad experience. Prolife organizations want to outlaw abortion because it intentionally takes the life of an innocent human being.

She then compares abortion to her root canal. If they're so comparable, I'm wondering why Beninato doesn't start a site where people can say, "I'm not sorry about my root canal."

"But weeping women bring the ratings and the money because everyone enjoys watching other people's misery, and that's what it's all about."

Is this how Beninato really sees prolife people? We enjoy watching the misery of others and that's why women who are post-abortive sometimes speak at prolife events? That's what it's all about? Can you see us now just hoping and praying that the post-abortive woman on stage will shed a tear? That will get our adrenaline pumping - that will bring us joy - that will open up our pocketbooks.

In the comments section Beninato adds, "As for fear? Please. Sure, I would have done things differently, but I would have much rather had my abortions than have been forced to birth children that I didn't want and wasn't remotely able to care for. And spare me the adoption crap--that reduces a woman to the level of an organic incubator. It is not any woman's job to provide anyone with a child. I hope someday that you find peace, because you won't get it through SNM. I found mine many years ago, and I live a joyful life every day because I accept the choices that I've made and don't beat myself up over the past--a concept which is alien to SNM."

Adoption crap? I'll have to remember that women who let their child be adopted by loving families are "organic incubators." Beninato claims to have found peace but she spends an inordinate amount of time talking about abortion and being mean-spirited for someone who is at "peace" and lives a "joyful life."

HT: After Abortion

No comments:

Post a Comment