Wednesday, February 09, 2005

RU-486 - I'm Hatin' It

I've previously discussed the Adverse Events Reports regarding RU-486 but I thought it was worth another post. I actually think these reports are worth a lot more than my 2 posts. Do any other prolife bloggers want to post on these reports? I'll link to any blog that does.

This time I want to discuss ectopic pregnancies and how abortionists doling out this abortion cocktail are supposed to have the "ability to diagnose ectopic pregnancies." It seems that many don't have this ability or aren't very good at it.

These reports (on page 6 and 7) indicate that abortionists missed at least 2 ectopic pregnancies.

Why is this? Although the FDA says abortionists should have the "ability to diagnose ectopic pregnancies," this clause isn't enforced because abortionists don't need to be certified in ultrasound dating of pregnancy and detection of ectopic pregnancy. Prolife lawmakers David Vitter and Tim Hutchinson introduced legislation in 2001 to codify the original FDA requirements that were abandoned.

This piece from the Alan Guttmacher Institute informs us (on page 2) that "the FDA made the determination that requiring certification in ultrasound dating and ectopic pregnancy is not required to administer mifepristone safely."

Maybe the FDA should tell that to the women who had ectopic pregnancies that their abortionist missed.

Another interesting report (page 6 of 8) discusses a woman whose RU-486 abortion failed (the child survived) and then she called to say that she was "happy" about the pregnancy. Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:04 PM

    I am a 34 year old woman that has had 2 ectopic pregnancies. Both times, I found out because I was bleeding heavily and in intense pain (more pain that when I delivered my twins without medication). In both cases, I was told that not having surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy would kill me and there was no "viable" pregnancy. I know your discussion was re: RU-486...but I am NOT an abortionist and did not choose this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    I don't think anyone here would accuse you of being an abortionist. Most prolife people recognize that saving the life of the mother (in cases like ectopic pregnancy) is better than having both the mother and child die.

    My point regarding RU-486 is that federal law doesn't guarantee that an abortionist will be able to diagnose an ectopic pregnancy before prescribing RU-486 and this could be extremely dangerous for the women with ectopic pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete