Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Do All Women See Their Abortion as a Choice?

At 10:04 a.m. yesterday, Jam says:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. Well, it's over. I went to the Planned Parenthood and had a surgical abortion with IV sedation. I found out I was 6 weeks pregnant, which meant I had actually been pregnant when I had my last period.
The day itself was a day I would rather forget. I was completely in shock of the number of women getting abortions and the number of women who had had multiple abortions and were back for another. It was a rather eye-opening day for me. But, that is a completely different topic.
I was completely fine afterwards ( a little dazed for a bit because I was sedated), pretty much no cramps and very little bleeding. My boyfriend was very sweet and took care of me all weekend. I was def. very emotional the day after, but I am now okay. I have this sense of relief right now. I guess that's good. I wish that I didn't have to do what I did, but there was no other choice for me at this time.
(emphasis mine)

Choice is the prevalent theme of the pro-choice movement but more and more it seems that women who have abortions are saying that they had no choice.

7 comments:

  1. I spoke recently with a prochoice woman and explained to her that I thought abortions should be limited to the women who really WANT them. She pointed out that when her friends "chose" abortion, they didn't WANT abortions. They just didn't see any other choice. But it doesn't even occur to her that there's anything wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:57 AM

    I've just been through an abortion, being only 19 i found it was the only alternative. I've only been in my relationship for 3 months, so naturally when we found out it was an unexpected shock. I've always been a hard worker but the thought of a baby scared the life out of me. I admit even though it's a very recent thing i will always ask myself, "what if". But i now have the rest of my life to look forward to the prospect of children and i pray next time round that i will be the most beautiful experiance of my life. All i have left to say is everyone has a choice but be sure it's purely what feels right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by GrannyGrump - I'm trying to have a similar discussion with a young man at the Bushvchoice blog. He uses the word "need" with regards to abortion yet can't seem to understand that if women feel they "need" abortions then they aren't really making a free "choice."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,
    If abortion was your "only alternative" was it really a "choice?" Too me it sounds like you're saying that you had no choice. It also sounds like you would have preferred to keep your child if you felt you had the familial and financial resources in place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Just a reply to my prevous comment by anonymous. I had choice but felt that under my current living circumstances that the only way i would have survived was to live off everyone and not be able to provide the way that my parents slogged so hard to bring me up to do. In a way your probably right but i feel no regret and i cant wait to have a family but it's far to soon and i feel i have alot to prove to myself and my demons. Thank you for listening sorry if i don't make much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi anonymous,
    Thanks for commenting again. I'm open to listening to your comments anytime. Did you ever consider adoption?

    I hope that you're able to have a family one day. Sometimes it's odd - my brother-in-law and his wife tried for years to have a child and just recently became pregnant and gave birth while others who don't want to have a child at the time seem to get pregnant much more easily.

    Are you taking steps to make sure that you don't become pregnant again either by practicing abstinence or thru some form of birth control?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Abortion should be available on demand. Prolifers are religious fanatics to a man. That being the main problem, women MUST decide what is right for them. God is aman made phenomenon to keep women under the proverbial thumb!!

    ReplyDelete