Thursday, February 10, 2005

More "I'm Not Sorry" Stories

Emily at After Abortion has informed me that there are new stories from women who've had abortions at I'm Not Sorry.

Though in many ways the stories are similar, they also differ dramatically. Morgan tells us, "I never felt any connection with either fetus. There was not one twitter of maternal feeling."

and

"I firmly believe there is no such thing as the "Post-Abortion Syndrome" that many in the anti-choice movement like to trumpet. Sometimes, it's simple regret that is fueled by guilt-mongerers around them. Sometimes, they don't want or know how to take responsibility for their choice and will blame anyone from their families to the baby daddy to the doctor in their attempts to avoid reality. Some cases are about the woman having a pathological, narcissistic fantasy of victimhood. They get attention and stroking by playing the victim card, so they play it for all it's worth instead of getting the mental health help they desperately need to grow up and be a responsible adult."

While Lynn says, "My boyfriend and I both agreed, with some sadness, that it would be in everyone's best interest to abort....I felt if timing was the only thing that was off, then why not maybe go for it? But the cliché "timing is everything" is correct. I want to really want my child."

The interesting thing to me is that almost every woman who says that she isn't sorry feels the need to explain her circumstances and point out that it would have been impossible or extremely difficult to raise the child. If they aren't sorry about their choice why do they need to rationalize their choice? Why do they need to explain their choice by basically saying that they had no other choice?

I found Nikki's story to be especially sad. She says, "I was molested as young kid. Now, over ten years later, my body is still a foreign, dangerous territory, a place where things happen without my control or consent. When I found out I was pregnant, I knew exactly what I wanted to do and I did it. I never felt so connected to my own body, my blood, my sexuality, my life and my fate before. For the first time in a long, long time I felt my body was my own. Aborting an unwanted pregnancy was the sacrament that delivered me home again."

No comments:

Post a Comment