Friday, May 07, 2010

Life Links 5/7/10

A lawmaker in Kansas proposed a tax on abortions as a method of raising revenue and lower abortions.
But Sen. Mary Pilcher Cook may have just offered the most unique idea so far: impose a sales tax on abortion.

Pilcher Cook, a Shawnee Republican, offered the idea as an amendment today as the Senate debates a 1-cent sales tax increase. Her amendment would also decrease the proposed sales tax hike to .9 cents.

She noted that governments routinely use tax policy to effect behavior – cigarette and liquor taxes, for example, or tax breaks designed to spur economic activity.

“If you want less of something, you tax it,” Pilcher Cook said.


Human endometrial stem cells were injected into brains of mice with Parkinson's-like symptoms and transformed into brain cells.
"Endometrial tissue is probably the most readily available, safest, most easily attainable source of stem cells that is currently available. We hope the cells we derived are the first of many types that will be used to treat a variety of diseases," said Yale's Dr. Hugh Taylor.

"I think this is just the tip of the iceberg for what we will be able to do with these cells," added Taylor, whose findings are published in the Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine.


At the RH Reality Check, Robin Marty seems to be really struggling over whether the child she miscarried was a baby or not.
I found comfort in the medical terms of “products of conception” and spontaneous missed abortion. From the point in which we realized that the heart had stopped beating, my only thought was that something had died inside of me, and that I desperately and with every fiber of my being needed it to be removed. It wasn’t a baby.....

That I needed medical permission to remove it was galling to me. The baby was dead and my body had betrayed me. Now I had to undergo surgery just to make it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment