Monday, December 21, 2009

Prolife and Pro-choice organization both opposed to Senator Nelson's abortion language

National Right to Life explains their opposition to the abortion language in the Senate version of health care reform.


Nebraska Right to Life is sharing its thoughts on Senator Nelson’s actions.
"Senator Nelson and his Chief of Staff, Tim Becker, called me last night at 7:30 p.m. Central time as a matter of 'courtesy', to let me know that he was pitching alternative language to Democratic leadership. We spoke for about 40 minutes." said Schmit-Albin. "When I asked them at the outset of the conversation to include National Right to Life in the call they declined and said they were going with the language. Senator Nelson claimed that their newly-drafted concepts/language was Stupak-plus and that it would pass pro-life muster. When I countered that we had no assurance of that because we were not allowed to review the language, I was reminded that this was merely a courtesy call, not a call for our input or approval."


Planned Parenthood, NARAL and NOW are also opposed to the new abortion language. NOW asserts that “abortion is health care” and that health care reform isn’t reform unless it includes abortion. Planned Parenthood thinks the legislation “essentially” requires an abortion rider like the Stupak amendment. It doesn’t. Apparently, having to write two checks for insurance coverage makes women second-class citizens.


Politico’s has some quotes from Senator Nelson on the reaction to the language he proposed.
"I put together what I thought was appropriate and I'm sorry that both sides didn't enjoy it," he said. "That's the way it works. I'm an independent type of person."

No comments:

Post a Comment