Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Life Links 10/31/07

The official report on the future of abortion laws in Britain doesn't sound good.


Neural stem cells have improved the memory of mice with brain damage. Interestingly, the majority of cells didn't turn into neurons so the researchers believe the stem cells were "enhancing the local brain microenvironment."
"Much of the focus in stem cell research has been how to turn them into different types of cells such as neurons, but maybe that is not always necessary," Yamasaki said. "In this case, we did not have to make neurons to improve memory."


A pro-choice blogger named NewsCat is having a dialogue (part 1, part 2, part 3 and part 4) on abortion with one of her prolife commenters. Here's how NewsCat describes her position on abortion.
I think the readers of my blog get a pretty decent sense of where I stand on the abortion position, I would support all abortion and no restrictions, including up and including the third-trimester. But beyond what I think about abortion, I've also marched to in support of pro-choice policies, given money to groups that provide poor women who cannot afford an abortion the ability to obtain one, and support political candidates on a sliding scale based (to some extent) how pro-choice their politics are. I'm also someone who writes about abortion and reproductive rights in general as part of my career outside of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment